Sunday, April 29, 2012

Dog Training, No. People Training, Yes.

I can't say that I've ever watched any of those Dog Whisperer shows, or others of that ilk, but I guess I thought "training" a dog would be sort of straight forward.  After all, I grew up with lots of dogs, and we never did anything special to get them to become well-behaved members of the family.  Turns out the intuitive part of dog training just isn't there.  It all seems so obvious as we hear interpretations of how dogs think/ act/react. 

A fun class today as each puppy was introduced to the "down" command.  We'll have to see how things go when we attempt this outside the classroom setting.  Nice to pick up a take-away on how to deal with the jumping habit that Gunnar has been displaying.  With genetics working against us, I don't know that we'll ever completely eliminate the nipping behaviour, though.   But, there's several class sessions left, so who know?   I'll keep an open mind on that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment